Here are a few more historical sights you might want to visit while in Ozona.
Although the early history of this structure is unrecorded, it is known that the house was originally built in the town site Emerald established in 1889 as Crockett County’s first settlement, It was moved to it’s current location in 1981.
As one of Crockett County’s earliest structures and a survivor of its first settlement, the Emerald House is a significant reminder of the County’s heritage.
Davy Crockett Memorial
A memorial to David Crockett, a hero of the Battle of the Alamo, stands at the south end of Ozona’s town square.
The statue, carved from a block of native Texas granite, was set at the town square park on Dec. 31, 1938, the last of a number of memorials to Texas heroes paid for from funds left from money appropriated by the state to celebrate its 100th anniversary in 1936. The Texas Centennial
Commission allowed $7,500 for the memorial.
Ozona Stockman stories of the time gave statistics of the statue. The figure is carved from a block of granite some 12 feet in length and three feet square. The figure stands on a foundation slab of granite nearly the same size. The granite used in both pieces weighed nearly 20 tons. At the base of the statue is the name Crockett and the words “Be sure you are right, then go ahead.” A brief outline of outstanding facts of Crockett’s life appears on the back of the statue.
The statue was placed on its base Dec. 31, 1938. Dedication was accomplished with great fanfare on the opening day of the 12th annual Rodeo, Race Meet, Stock Show and Sale June 27, 1939. Rep. Dorsey Hardeman, himself a native of Crockett’s home state, Tennessee, delivered the principal address. Judge C.E. Davidson accepted the memorial on behalf of the county.
It was later learned that the statue was originally scheduled to be erected in Crockett, Texas, but when a suitable location was not available in Crockett it was offered to Crockett County and accepted.
The statue remains in the park as a tribute to David Crockett for whom the county was named. Many a traveler has been photographed sitting on the statue’s base.
The Tie That Binds Statue
In West Texas a spirit abounds among the community that binds us together. In this lonely, isolated part of the state , we look to each other for strength through hard times and together we celebrate the good times.
The Crockett County Heritage Appreciation Monument is a memorial to the pioneer families that came to settle this land and to those who followed. It signifies the work, determination and the hardships endured by our ancestors. To these people, we owe a debt of honor; they gave us heritage.
Through joint community efforts, we placed this life-size sculpture in our town square to be viewed by the town people and shared with the many visitors to Ozona. It is a constant reminder of those who came to a dry, thirsty land and stayed and endured until Ozona became the thriving community of varied cultures that it is today. It represents the spirit that binds us together.
The nine-foot bronze statue was created by native of Crockett County named Judy Black. She conveys her feeling for the community which is displayed in the center of our town square.
It might as well have been called the Lost Road, for history has all but forgotten it. It did have other names and has been known variously as the Government Road, San Antonio-El Paso Road, San Antonio-San Diego Mail Road, the Jack Ass-Mail Road and the Lower Road. Perhaps too many names is its problem. Nothing stuck such as the Butterfield Mail Road or the Santa Fe Trail. It was, however, used every bit as much as both of these trails. It was in fact, the Interstate-10 of its time. It was so until the completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad through Texas. Then, the use of the road declined until the advent of the automobile made its use obsolete.
Unlike the Oreon Trail, the Santa Fe Trail and the Butterfield, the Chihuahua Road between the coast and Ft. Stockton has not been delineated by modern historians to the extent that it can be located exactly. Because almost all of it is on private lands, it probably never will be.
It has been said the road carried as many as 2000 freight wagons a year for over 30 years. It was the road used by the first successful transcontinental mail route in 1857 between San Antonio and San Diego, one year before the Butterfield Mail Route went in to use. It was the road that literally opened up the southwest for settlement. Yet, it is almost unheard of today.
The artifacts you see on display were gathered from a 5 mile stretch of the road on the Hudspeth Ranch located between Beaver Lake (no more) and Howard’s Well in Val Verde and Crockett Counties. It is a good sample of what one could expect to be found along a heavily used wagon road that has been untouched by modern man.
Other Interesting Places